There is nothing more disappointing for men than to find their hair thinning out, exposing bald patches. It affects their morale and makes them feel inferior to their well-maned brethren. Markets and online retail shops are chock a block with medicines and potions that promise a lush growth on the bald pate.
However, instead of running helter-skelter in search for hair loss treatments, it is better to first understand the causes of hair loss and then search for ways and means for hair fall control.
Causes of hair loss
Hair loss in men is a result of two factors – hormonal changes in the scalp and genetics. Both are age-related. Advancing age infuses genetic changes in the scalp that makes the hair follicles sensitive to hormones present in the blood and tissues. This weakens the hair follicles that begin to reject hairs, leading to thinning and hair loss.
Treating hair loss, the natural way
If you adhere to a healthy lifestyle, you can be sure to limit hair loss and ultimately reverse the process. Let us see how:
- Balanced diet: Take a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, proteins and unsaturated fats. For healthy hair, take iron-rich foods, such as beans, green leafy vegetables, etc.; omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, like salmon, mackerel and tuna, egg yolks, flax seeds, hemp seeds and walnuts; and high-protein foods like lean meats, seafood and eggs.
- Green tea: The polyphenolic compounds found in green tea are considered a natural remedy for hair loss.
- Onion juice: According to a study, drinking onion juice has a significant effect on hair regrowth.
- Biotin: This vitamin is found in eggs, nuts, oats, onions and sweet potatoes. Consuming these products has been shown to slow the process of hair loss.
- Oils: Some oils, such as peppermint oil, have been found to help with hair growth. Oils, like Rosemary oil, increase blood circulation to the scalp and is believed to improve hair regrowth. Other oils, such as coconut oil, castor oil and olive oil are also ‘hair-friendly’.
Drugs and procedures for hair loss treatment
There are certain FDA-approved prescription and OTC drugs, such as Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride that prevent hair loss. An Ayurvedic drug derived from Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), a species of sunflower, also supports hair growth.
Hair transplant is also an option for hair growth. The two most popular ones are follicular unit transplantation and follicular unit extraction. Laser treatment is effective in reducing the inflammation in follicles and accelerating regrowth.
Although you cannot beat the baldness gene, if you have one, you can always adopt a healthy lifestyle to limit hair loss. Also, timely hair loss treatment will do wonders in restoring your crowning glory.